Saturday, January 8, 2011

Self Preservation

This is an interesting theory that my sister came up with: Today I realized a few startling things. It occurred to me that a) I can't even begin to imagine being pregnant or having a baby any time soon, b) I can't even begin to imagine planning a wedding or the thought of being married and c) looking back on the last year of my life seems surreal and almost impossible. I feel pretty nuts thinking and admitting these things to myself, but they are all true. My sister called it self preservation. She thinks this is my mind's way of coping with all of the loss that I've experienced. Am I protecting myself mentally and emotionally by convincing myself that I didn't really want those things and that I wasn't ready for them? Is it my mind's way of starting to heal by making things seem sort of fuzzy and make-believe? I don't know. Everything I've been experiencing is completely new to me, so I guess this is right there with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment