Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recovery

* Just a TMI warning!!!! Everything surrounding my hospitalization and surgery is pretty gross, so if you don't want to know really inappropriate details about my body, I would stop reading!


The day after my surgery was a pretty good one, considering. Sky showed up first thing that morning bearing gifts and breakfast from McDonalds. Our day was spent watching silly TV and laughing and talking and napping. We even ordered a pizza! And since the nurses found out through unfortunate trial and error what pain medication worked best for me from the night before, they made sure to keep me pretty drugged up and happy through the day. 


My nurses continued to poke me to draw blood every 6 hours, and kept an eye on my vital signs. Dr. Amaro still wasn't happy with my blood work numbers, so he decided that before discharging me the next day, that I would undergo another blood transfusion that evening.


I woke up the next morning in crazy amounts of pain, but very ready to go home. Sadly my evening nurse was not as free with the pain medication as my day nurse had been. But the blood transfusion and antibiotics had been administered without a hitch, and I was being sent home!


Sky packed up everything I had accumulated during my visit, I said good-bye to the people I had come to see as friends, and we were off!! But not before signing the paperwork that stated my hospital stay's total: $24,000. As I signed the paper, I laughed out loud!!! Because really, what else could I do?! I had a feeling that if I didn't acknowledge my disbelief aloud in some way, it would come out later as hysteria or sobs. So really, laughing seemed the best option. The woman who discharged me and had me sign the paper, looked at me as if I had lost my mind. Oh well.


The car ride and the car barge ride home were excruciating, but uneventful. I am beyond thankful that Sky had the foresight to ask my nurse, Denise, to drug me up right before leaving the hospital. Once we made it home Sky carried me in the house and to the bed. And here is where I've been since then. He has been amazing to me. He has cooked, cleaned, gone to work every day, made sure I've taken my medicine, and done everything in his power to keep my spirits up and make me laugh during this very painful, very slow recovery. And to my never-ending mortification he has also helped me bathe, go to the restroom, dress and everything in between. 


It's hard to convey not only the amount of pain I was in, but also how HARD it has been to do everyday things that I've always taken for granted. Little things like laughing and coughing were impossible to do without causing myself incredible amounts of pain. Getting on and off the bed, even rolling onto my side or trying to sit up were impossible without Sky's help. So you can imagine why I would need help bathing, dressing, and even eating.


Today marks one week and one day since my surgery. I am still in a lot of pain, but moving around is getting easier. I can get off and on the bed by myself. I can stand up long enough for a shower or to get a bowl of cereal. I can pretty much dress myself now. And I can almost walk up and down the steps without help! I'm on my way to healing! I still have to move very slowly and carefully, but I'm getting there!


This experience is competing with my miscarriage and subsequent breakdown as the worse of my life. And since this is the SECOND time I've said this in the past six months, I am seriously hoping, wishing and praying that I won't have to reassign that label to anything else I experience for the rest of my days. But for now I am focusing on resting, healing, and staying in a good mental space, which is getting harder to do as the days go by. And that's what I've been up to for the past two and a half weeks!


So the morals to this story?!
*Have health insurance!!!!


*Go to the doctor when you don't feel well!!!!


*Eat plenty of fiber!!!!


Happy Thursday all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment