Saturday, March 26, 2011

First Day Back

It's my first day back to work since the surgery. I've cried four times already. And that's even after I've taken four pain pills this morning! I know that's way too many, but I'm just trying to make it through this shift. Sky was sweet enough to come with me to work and help me on his day off. The owner of the hotel has been around and has helped a lot too. I'm thankful everyone is being so nice, but I'm still in crazy amounts of pain! I'm doing my best to try to take it easy. For the last hour and a half I've just been sitting here. Even so, I haven't sat for this long in weeks! I'm exhausted and I am counting the minutes until I can be back in bed!

So as I was very slowly making my way around the hotel this morning, several people asked if I was okay. I told one of the women who asked that it was my first day back after surgery. It turns out that she and her girlfriends staying here are nurses! They were shocked when I told them my surgery was only a week and a half ago. They were very concerned and asked lots of questions about the procedure, my hospital stay and how I was recovering. Several of them told me repeatedly that what I had undergone was considered a very serious surgery, and that I should still be at home in bed! They said that people are usually on bed rest for the first 2 to 3 weeks, and most are not advised to be climbing stairs or lifting anything before the 4 week mark. It was nice to hear their concern and feel validated and to know I'm not being a (complete) baby about this whole thing.

Yet here I am at work because I was worried about losing my job. Right after the surgery I called my manager to explain about the bed rest and everything else that was going on. And once I got home from the hospital I sent Sky to talk to her again, just to make sure she new I wanted to come back and that I didn't want to lose my job. She was very nice and accommodating when she spoke with Sky so I was relieved thinking I could take my time with recuperating. But she called me two days later and her demeanor was very different. She didn't say it directly, but she strongly urged me to return to work, hinting around that if I didn't I would no longer have a job.

I know everyone keeps saying I can just get a new job. But Season is winding down here very quickly, and if you don't have a job once Slow Season hits, then it's extremely difficult to find anything. I don't want to take my chances!

Anyway I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!! Only 54 more minutes til I'm out of here and back in my sweet, comfy bed!!! It can't come soon enough!!!

Happy Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment