Thursday, October 27, 2011

Household Hang-Ups

I don't like to clean. Actually that's being too nice about it. I hate to clean. I absolutely despise it. I don't mind putting dishes into the dishwasher (which we don't have), I'm fine with doing laundry, occasionally I like to dust, or even mop the floors with a Swiffer, but I HATE cleaning. I'm great at picking up, organizing (when I feel like it), and straightening. I don't want to sound like I never lift a finger. But I don't like scrubbing anything, dirt grosses me out and I'm just going to be honest: I feel like I have better things to do than clean. Sky doesn't like to clean either. And although he is (self admittedly) a slob, I'm totally okay with the fact that he doesn't like to clean any more than I do! My solution to this problem seems simple enough: I'd like to hire a maid. It's not that expensive here, it helps someone else who needs work (and money!) and both Sky and I are free to spend our time doing whatever we like instead of having to clean! AND it fits easily into our monthly budget. Sounds like a no-brainer right? Well wrong! Sky and I disagree on this subject. I think we should hire a maid, he thinks I should get over my hang-ups and clean. This is not to say that Sky or I won't clean, because we both do. In saying that, I have decided that I am over it. I don't mean to sound bitchy, I'm just done arguing about it and I am done doing something I don't want to do. We have been debating about whether to have a maid for almost two years now. And I think it's ridiculous! I got angry last night and said "When I was single and wanted a maid, all I had to do was call and book a maid! But now I have to argue with someone for two years about having a maid! It's RIDICULOUS!". Then I felt bad about throwing the whole "when I was single" thing in his face. But seriously already!!!! I mean he won't even give me a valid reason as to why he doesn't want one. So we're at a stand-off where the house is concerned. I told him very directly in our most recent conversation that I will work, grocery shop, help with the laundry and take care of the other dozens of things that help run a household, very willingly, happily and with a smile. But I am done cleaning. I am putting my foot down (I can do that, right?). If he wants the house clean, then he can do it, or he can let me hire a maid. It's as simple as that. I figure might as well clear the air and be as honest as possible before we make it official. This is something a lot of couples go through, right?  

No comments:

Post a Comment