Thursday, February 10, 2011

#83 See a movie that makes me cry

Obviously this isn't something that I could really plan. So I figured when it would happen, it would happen. And it happened last night. As I said before, I'm in the middle of being obsessed with movies. I watch one every single day. Some days I watch two! Last night was one of those nights. I got home around 5:30p and immediately changed into my pjs, curled up with Migi and started a movie night. This is one of the movies I watched:

I wish I had been a bit more prepared for this. I hadn't seen the previews, nor did I read a synopsis of the movie. The only thing I can recall hearing about it was that it had an amazing cast and was produced by Tyler Perry. I thought it was going to be a feel-good, female empowering sort of movie. 

It wasn't. This movie made me sad to be black, sad to be a woman and made me want to hate black men. And let me make clear that NONE of these are my real feelings, nor have I ever felt that way. As a matter of fact, I usually feel the exact opposite! I was shocked at how depressing and heart-wrenching this movie was! And the crying I did was not "I'm so touched by this" crying. This crying was more "This is extremely sad and painful and uncomfortable to watch and I identify with too many of these scenarios and they remind me of my own depressing situation/experience/childhood" sort of crying.

So I started sobbing about 45 minutes into it and didn't stop until the credits rolled. And then I was angry. Because I was not ready, nor did I want, to be emotionally attacked and drained by a movie. But I had been. Oh well . Lesson learned.

Have any of you watched this movie? What did you think about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment