Saturday, September 18, 2010

Homesick

I guess it takes moving very far away from home to appreciate everything you love (but thought you were over) about it. For some reason it's this time of year, the beginning of fall, that I've always loved being in Atlanta. I used to love unpacking sweaters, day trips to pumpkin patches, watching the leaves turn, camping trips, feeling the air turn crisp in the early morning, watching sweet boys play soccer (Miller & Shea!), and the smells of pumpkin and cinnamon everywhere!! These are the little joys and pleasures that don't come with a never-ending summer.

Please don't get me wrong! I am so blessed to be where I am!! Being on St. John has been an experience that I will never let go of as long as I live. Living in the Virgin Islands is an amazing, fun-filled, beautiful, but often difficult, experience. Somehow I thought life would be simpler, easier, sweeter living near the wide open sea, near breath-taking sandy beaches, in climates that never dropped below 78 degrees.

This may be paradise for some, but I am slowly but surely recognizing that I left behind My Paradise nearly a year ago. The longer I am away the more I appreciate, love and miss my friends, my families, my paradise, my home: Atlanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment